Friday, August 07, 2009

In which we talk about midwives

Hello my friends, hopefully some of you are still hanging on out there. I'm starting to feel a bit better this past week or so...I still spend a lot of time looking like this however:


Mmmmm...sleeeeeep.

Anyway, it seems that when I tell people that I'm going with a midwife they really have no idea what that means...so I thought I'd give you guys the low down on what it means in Canada (or at least BC...I can't speak for the rest of the country.)

I am not having a home birth. This seems to be what everyone thinks of first when I say that I have a midwife instead of a doctor. Midwives here have full hospital priviledges. They can even give you the drugs if you need (I'm not planning on it...but it's nice to know). Unlike a doctor, they stay with you the whole time you're in active labour. They can do home births...but as I don't live in a town with a hospital they were pretty happy to have me come to the hospital. The doctors are there as a backup, but I won't even see them unless needed.

They have 4 years of University training specifically on prenatal care and childbirth. That makes it a no brainer to me. Find me a doctor with that much education on childbirth. Why would I go see someone who mainly deals with sick and injured people? There's nothing wrong with me.

I feel that the midwife experience is just more comfortable, they schedule me for 30-45 minute appointments so that they can make sure I have a chance to ask lots of questions (which I of course have...as I've never done this before) and they make sure that I understand any test results and just that I'm doing well. I really feel well taken care of.

I should also mention that I am lucky enough to live in a place where I don't have to pay for this. It's all covered under my BC medical (to which Craig says "finally, we're actually using it!"). Some places in Canada still don't count midwives under their medical plan (hooray for Alberta for just changing that!). So really? It's win win.

Maybe that was boring...but I just felt the need to explain it all. Just because I'm having a midwife doesn't mean that the baby will be born in my bed with some hippie incense burning in the background. Just so you know.

Also, look: I am starting to look pregnant...and not just like I can't lay off the doughnuts!