Saturday, April 14, 2007

Friday Five

No seriously, I was going to post this yesterday but our internex wasn't working. Must phone telus as this has been happening too often of late.

Before I post my Friday Five, I'd just like to ask everyone to pray for my cousin Steven. On thursday morning he was running a bit of a temperature, by thursday night he had been airlifted to Calgary and by friday morning he was hooked up to a respirator. The Doctors don't know what's wrong. And I guess his platlet (sp?) count is so low that if he got a cut he could bleed to death. I am absolutely sick with worry and I can't even imagine how his parent's and brother are dealing with it. He's just such a great kid, he's 17, good looking, musical, smart and just...good. I can't accept the idea that the world wouldn't be a better place with him in it, he's got so much to give still. So please pray for him. Even if you don't really pray...maybe just try this once?

Okay so I have a bit of a different five today, I was in chapters and I always love looking at book covers, because that's something I'd love to get into. So here are five beautiful covers I found yesterday, I haven't read any of the books so it's unbiased.

1) The End of East by Jen Sookfong Lee

The scan doesn't quite do the cover justice, it's very vibrant looking. I love the photo, it evokes the feeling that there is a story behind the girl and makes me wonder about her. Also the font and the scalloped edges are very retro-modern which makes me think it's a story about the past...that a modern person would enjoy. The book is about a families immagration from china to canada, so that would be pretty accurate.

2) Ophelia by Lisa Klein

I'm a sucker for portrait style covers, either as photos or well done paintings. I'd rather have a feeling of who the main character is then a scene. This one tells me that the book is not modern, that the main character is strong but her story isn't always happy. I also feel a little bit like I know her after seeing her portrait. This book is a retelling of hamlet, as a novel from Ophelias point of view for an older YA audience. I'd actually really like to read it although....I don't like sad endings! Also, the text is beautiful and well placed...I wonder if I have that font....

3)Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin

I don't really want to read this book, but it's one that caught my eye two or three times, which is evidence of a well done cover. Part of the draw is the title. "Mistress of the Art of Death" makes me wonder what the book is about, it's very mysterious and elegant. I've spent some time looking to see if the cover is a recent painting (neoclassical) or a classic painting but I just don't know. Either way, paintings as covers make for a Happy Hanna.

4)A Mama for Owen by Marion Dane Bauer (Author), John Butler (Illustrator}


Such a sweet painting! Look at the little smiling baby hippo! I glanced inside this one and it looks like a great kids book, just wonderful art all the way through. And so cute, the hippo gets adopted by the tortoise...awwwww. At least I think that's what happens...I kinda skimmed it.

5)Such a Pretty Girl by Laura Wiess


So this is not an original style, and honestly Twilight does it better, but it still evokes strong feelings about the story. I would guess from it that the story is dark and that the dying flower represents a "pretty girl" with a lot of issues, probably some kind of abuse or depression. Also, just very eyecatching. The font is stylish but still loose enough to feel like she could have just written it.