Monday, March 03, 2008

Five years of marriage and domestic goddessness

So it was our anniversary this weekend (March 1st). Five years. We've had some rough spots, but I know that these five years are just the beginning of our fun life together :). Anyway, Mom and Dad (whom I loooove) gave us an overnight with meals at the very fun Ainsworth Hot Springs. For those of you who have not been lucky enough to spend time in my neck of the...er woods, the main fun thing about Ainsworth, apart from the natural hot springs, mountains, lakes and so on, is that the the hottest pool has a natural horseshoe shaped cave. Very amusing.

On our way home we spent some time in Nelson enjoying the sunny weather. We bought some organic sheeps cheese from the Kootenay Co-op and a very yummy baguette from the French Bakery. That with a bottle of wine and some butternut squash soup was dinner. We also watched "I Am Legend" because apparently I need to watch a scary(ish) movie every now and then to remember that I don't think being scared is fun. Strangely. Oh and while in Nelson Craig bought me a really beautiful necklace made by Nicole Bigg. I have been lusting over them at the Craft Connection for the past 6 months so I'm kinda in love with it.

What else...Sunday was warm...I wore capris to church. I stayed for a meeting of the church's "fix the ugly webpage" meeting. As seems to be my destiny. They are all techy guys who are happy to just let me make it pretty. And that's all I want anyway so it works out.

Karl and Tom...I miss you guys!

This morning I woke up to the sound of the snow plow. I was not exactly excited...but I was also not surprised...I knew it was too early to settle into Spring. March is a messy month. And that's just how it is.

Oh and yesterday I got out Animal, Vegetable, Miracle out from the library after hearing many good things about it...and I have to say I love this book. I'm halfway through...I don't usually read nonfiction so quickly. It's about a family who decides (with a couple small exceptions...such as grain) to eat only what they and their community can produce. It's partly information about the food industry (which is scary) but also lots about their life, and I have to say that their kid is hilarious. I'm so inspired...I want to garden. I know. Me. I do have to point out that I have three houseplants that are currently alive in my house...and also, I'm sure I'm not the first person to kill a cactus, okay!

Mom and Dad...we will be making cheese, I thought you might want to be in on the action. I'm pretty stocked and will be looking for a place to buy the cultures tomorrow. If I can make bread and pasta from scratch, I'm willing to attempt cheese.

Sewing my own clothing? Making cheese? House...still clean?

It's crazy I tell you. Crazy.