Sunday, August 12, 2007

Save the World Sundays

So I was very inspired by Green as a Thistle, she has committed to making one change in her life everyday for a year that betters the environment. Everyday is too much for me, and I'm not turning my fridge off, I'm just not. However I don't believe that that's any excuse for sitting about on my bum being too lazy to do anything, so I'm going to try for once a week. That's right, every week I'm going to try and make one permanent change in how I do things to make the world a better place. Mostly I mean so we don't all die of global warming and whatnot, but I also mean making it better for people, because seriously, we live here. So I'm going to try and make my (and Craig's :P) habits more green and more ethical. We'll see how it goes. I have two main reasons for this:

1)I want to prove that it's not a big deal to make smarter choices in life. I'm not a crazy hippie here. I'm an artsy computer addict who loves action movies and cute shoes. If I can do it, surely you can.

2)As a Christian I don't believe it's optional. We're were given the Earth by God back in the very first chapter of the entire Bible, and I don't think that was so we could burn it to the ground. We're supposed to be stewards, and we're doing a bang-up job so far.

Week 1 (well this isn't all one week, but it's where I started):
1)Switched to Method cleaning products.
2)Bought 10 reusable grocery bags, one is in my purse all the time.
3)We're actually turning the computer off when not in use.
4)No more Walmart! (but it's cheaper, you say? Buy less stuff I say.)

Week 2: Buying MP3's instead of CD's. (less packaging)

Week 3: Switched to recycled toilet paper.

Week 4: Using rags instead of paper towel.

Week 5: Water bottle in the toilet tank.

Week 6: Not shaving in the shower.