Sunday, October 05, 2008

Books Books Books

So for those of you who don't know, I'm a crazy reader. I read 2-4 books a week on average and often finish a book in a day. I always try to keep track, and I've tried making a spreadsheet for it...and the facebook group and so on. Right now I'm on Goodreads, mostly because Kait is on it, and she's the one I discuss books with the most anyway. It's pretty cool, it's a social networking thing but you add the books you're reading and can rate them and write reviews. You can recommend books to your friends and join book clubs. It's fun times. If you decide to hop on board and share your reading fun you should add me as a friend. I only have five friends. It's kind of embarrassing actually. (I'm here).

I'm been reading a lot of fluff lately, but here's some of my favourite reads from September:


In Defense of Food: an Eaters Manifesto by Micheal Pollan
This was my nonfiction for the month. To prevent brain rot. This is an excellent book if you care at all about the food you eat. His basic premise is that you should eat real food and not buy into the nutritional hype that puts omega 3's in our margarine and whatever crap it is they're putting in yogurt these days. And that being as real food has the nutrition we need to start with, we'll be happier and healthier. There's more to it than that, but I'll just let you read the book.

I would recommend to Jen and Kari. And maybe Barb.


Splitting Harriet by Tamara Leigh
This is a Christian Chicklit/Romance about an ex-rebel pastor's kid who's too afraid of falling back into her old ways to take any risks in her life. For example she lives in the church owned seniors trailer park. This book managed to be funny, have a message (a non-annoying message...nothing makes me crazier than a preachy book), and still satisfy my need for luuurve in a book.

I would recommend to Kait, Barb, Mom...and Aunt Kathy.


Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs
There's a lot of werewolf/paranormal fiction out there, and most of it is not that great. Patricia Briggs has great characters and just writes and interesting story. I enjoyed this book a lot, even though I haven't read the novella that is the official starting point to the series. And you gotta love covers by Daniel Don Santos. Well, at least I do. (this is what happens when an artist reads too much, most of my favourite artists do cover art)

I would recommend to Kait.

Any of you guys read something lately that you loved or think I would enjoy? Let me know!