Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas at the Pool

So tonight was the Santa Pool Party. An exciting yearly event only surpassed by the Halloween Party. The Santa Pool Party is a lot more fun. Partly because there's a few less children (only 100 or so) and partly because they are ingesting less sugar.

We all have to wear Santa hats...which gets ridiculously warm on the pool deck...and I came out of the change room in my hat and uniform. There were a couple girls of about 4 or 5 in there. One looked up and said very excitedly "Hi San..." and then her voice trailed of into confusion as she looked closer "ta?". The hat a Santa does not make.

One of us does have to be Santa however and it's not a fun thing as you have to wear a full suit, padding, and the beard in 25(80is) degree muggy poolness. We had decided it would be Mark as he has the least seniority. Then I saw Nick getting into the suit and I said to Mitch (who was in charge) "Why isn't Mark Santa?" and Mitch said "Oh, Mark can't be Santa, he's Jewish." And I said "We have Jewish people here? Seriously? I guess I should stop mocking the Season's Greetings signs" (a rant for another time, but suffice it to say that there is no one in town that is celebrating anything other than Christmas...so why not just say Merry Christmas?). Anyway, Nick was Santa (he's 17 and Filipino, is that normal for Santa?) spreading joy and cheer while dying of heat. Then I caught Mark in the guard room and asked "Mark, are you actually Jewish, or did you just want to get out of being Santa?" and he said "There is no way I was going to put that suit on."

Maybe tomorrow I'll tell Nick that Mark's not actually Jewish. It should be a fun time.

I was in charge of snowman bowling. It was a pretty big hit.

Also, we had pizza. That is all for now...