Tuesday, May 03, 2011

WIP Wednesday!



Here's a screenshot of my tiger lily fairy. I'm currently working on the flowers. The reference image is a photo I took a couple of years ago on a hike. You can see that I again have two windows open of my painting, one is a close up and one is zoomed out. You can do this using the Window>arrange>new window. The two windows are linked so you can draw close up and see the results further away at the same time.

In the middle is a seperate file with my pallet on it. I'm trying something new this time around. I got James Gurney's Colour and Light: a guide for the realist painter (which is a fabulous book, I learned so much!) and am using his method of gamut masking with a cool tool from this site.


So here's my gamut map, I can only paint with colours from within it. Then I chose a few colours from it to work from (my digital tubes of paint) and set up a pallet with colour strings to work from those original colours. It's a bit more involved than my usual "what looks pretty?" approach and I'm very happy with how it's turning out!