Saturday, June 26, 2010

Scrapbooking Saturdays: Wordle

So I take a million pictures, as I'm sure you've noticed. And I am very organized about downloading them, sorting them into dated folders and uploading them to share here and on facebook. What I'm not doing is printing them. So I've decided to start scrapbooking, only not really. I don't really like scrapbooking. I don't like all the fussy layouts, I don't like all the embellishments, I don't like pages that overwhelm the photos with stuff and nonsense. I don't like spending that much money on another hobby.

So I'm doing it Hanna style. This means digital, clean, and photo focused. Professionally printed and bound. Sound like fun to you? I'll be trying to post once a week (Scrapbooking Saturdays?) to give you some ideas and inspirations while I'm at it.

I'm using the Creative Memories digital scrapbooking program, Storybook, for little S's baby book. Not Photoshop. I will tell you why later. But for today, here's something fun to try:



Using Wordle to create word collages:
I'm using these for my title pages for each month in the baby book. I've thought wordle was a fun little program since I discovered it, but hadn't come up with a good use for it yet. The way it works is you copy paste some text, or give it a URL (such as your blog) and it makes this cool collage out of it. The words that are used the most turn up bigger. To use this in a more controlled way and make a collage like mine, do this:

1)In the "Paste in a bunch of text: " area type your title word four times, another important word three times and another fun word two times. Type the rest of your words once. If you want to have a phrase, put a ~ connecting the words to keep them together.
2) Hit "go" and mess around with the font, colour and layout options until you like it. I used custom colours, picking them in photoshop and then pasting the hex code into the custom pallet. They do have some nice preset colour pallets though.
3) Click on "print" but instead of letting it print, save it as a pdf file. I then opened it in photoshop as a 300 dpi 16 bit file and resaved it as a jpg so I could use it in Storybook. It's possible that there's an easier way to do this, but that's what worked for me.

That's it! Go forth and create strange collages!