Sunday, May 15, 2011

#14


So I've finished my last Jane Austen novel (another item to mark off my 30 before 30 list) And I thought I'd do a post with my thoughts on her books. First off I will admit that I was introduced to her novels not by reading one but by watching the wonderful BBC miniseries of Pride and Predjudice when I was a teenager. I probably saw 5 other movie adaptations of her work before I actually sat down to read one of her books. As I average a novel a week (even now, with a toddler), this was kind of embarrassing. I did read a couple of these before starting my 30 before 30, to be fair.

So, in acsending order of how much I liked them:

6) Sense and Sensibility
I twice started this book and got bored and stopped. I often get a bit bored at the begginning of her books but this one was honestly boring all the way through. I don't know why. Also, I was completely unimpressed with Edward as a romantic lead, even at the end.

5) Mansfield Park
This one was okay. I admit that 21 century Hanna went "but aren't they first cousins?" Also everyone was so mean to Fanny for the whole book. I know that's kind of the point, but it still made me want to slap all the characters more than once. Including Fanny for putting up with it.

4) Northanger Abbey
I just finished this one and I found it very readable and cute. The dialogue is light and fun, and I loved how Catherine's imagination runs away with her in the gothic mansion.


3) Emma
I love Emma. It's as fun as Northanger Abbey but with a more satisfying romance. (Also, the new BBC miniseries was wonderful)

2) Persuasion
Persausion starts off a bit slow for me but from the halfway point on I had trouble putting it down. One part gave me goosebumps. Love it, great for the romantic in me!


1) Pride and Prejudice
Honestly, my love of Pride and Prejudice could be a full post on it's own. I love the book. I love the BBC version with Colin Firth. I consider the 2005 movie to be my favourite movie (most of the time, I'm fickle when it comes to movies). I also love Bride and Prejudice (so amusing!). I don't know why, it's just a great story.